A Floating World
This blog is about some of the things I love: writing, reading, creating – coloured by my passions for human rights, inclusivity, elevating social hope, and amplifying diverse voices and stories.
This blog represents a collection of my writing including:
- – musings and reflections (some will be creative pieces, some will be researched non-fiction)
- – excerpts from published works
- – fiction
- – non-fiction
- – reviews
- – insights to my art
- – a look at my current reading delights.
The blog is equipped with comments so that you can be a part of a conversation, if you choose.
Major Works In Progress
I am currently researching and developing two major non-fiction works:
- A collection of women’s stories, exploring their defining moments, challenging the definition of success, and celebrating the ways in which they have and continue to leave a mark on those around them. Women (including trans and femmes), GNC, NB, iand intersex people continue to hold up half the sky but their stories do not fill half our shelves or half the pages we read. Excerpts from interviews and conversations will be featured in the podcast.
- A consideration of the paradigm we operate within to respond to (and seek to prevent and reduce) family, domestic, and gendered violence in Australia and the ways in which it fails to appropriately encompass cultural, First Nations’ and LGBTQIA+ risks, needs, and experiences.
I am developing a collection of short stories inspired by fairy-tale and mythology to explore dark themes and the edges of our potential for different ways forward.
My poetry plays with form, imagery, and lyricism to explore and challenge definitions, identity, and existence.
My visual art practice incorporates the underlying philosophy of wabisabi and melding of traditional and contemporary methods, recognising that we all straddle multiple ways and worlds, not just those of us consigned to the obvious membership of cultural diaspora. I challenge the idea that cracks, fragility, visibility of broken history are synonymous with lesser beauty or value. Much like trauma, mistakes and difficult experiences, these form our valuable and idiosyncratic stories and inform our present and future potential.